Monday, February 2, 2009

Colors in the clouds

Or my head in the clouds?
So off North i go this morning. The clouds still pinkish, from the morning sun, but mostly blue sky. (does that mean, still 6 weeks weeks of winter? well that's good! That means spring will be early.)
I ski the first part on established ski trails. Carry my snowshoes on my back. In May 2008 when i started this blog, i went this way every other day to check the Birch and later to collect the sap. Now all winter not even an animal has taken the trail.
I switch to snowshoes.
My snow shoes sink in deep. And that bit of crust in the middle somewhere, i break through it. Needless to say i go very slow. But it is glorious. February is exactly what it is supposed to be in my book.-5C today.
(when was it? Feb.2007; -47C)
It is hard work though, i only come as far as the top of a drumlin. I can see the Birch on top of the hill, they have a reddish shine to them. Very different then all the poplar here (quacking aspen). What i do come through is a little forest of Pine trees. I love those too, they are nice and light green compared to the spruce, and more...feminine somehow. About Pine; that doesn't grow around our house, because apparently it needs a forest fire to germinate its seeds. And here at this spot there is definitely some sign of fire, which could be in this semi-arid climate, 60 years ago.(something else to find out)

On my way home, i see that the moon is up already.
And then above my house there is this big interesting cloud. As i flop on a chair on my little deck, colors start to show. I have never seen this. And if you have a name for this phenomena, please let me know. Its a cloud above the sun.

With a sky like that, i sing along with the Jerusalem Passion by Australian composer Murray Wylie (thanks anonymous) my version conducted by Hans Malta, and one of the choirs Les Sirenes (my sister's, Ank)

2 comments:

christopher said...

I am so well pleased with your shares of the world you find near your house. It is so different from anything around here. We close up shop after a foot of snow. There is no way to keep the city going because there isn't enough need for all the equipment and supplies we would need to dig out. I dug my driveway out but couldn't leave my driveway with my car for several days.

jozien said...

Ain't it lovely to be stuck like that for a few days. Thanks for sharing.