Friday, July 24, 2009

Bladderwort


I did get wet to take this picture. But i was so happy to see it. last year i discovered it in shallow water close to the 911 pond. I try to stay dry getting as close to the water as i can, placing my feet on the polls/hummocks? of marsh grass.
soon i see bright yellow among the marsh vegetation in a small pool of water.
As i do get a satisfactory photo, i feel the water going over the edge of my boots. Now i might as well keep going, i roll up my pants, to move in for a close. There you go. And i have to admit, i did something i rarely do, i pulled out the plant.
Last year i could not identify it exactly from the photo.
It is a Utricularia vulgaris ssp macrohiza. The underwater parts of the plant full of little air bladders.


To dry my boots and socks a little bit i lay in the grass, and look up to the flowers. Haha, no i did not. Well i did take of my boots and socks, but took the photo of flowers in the grass, later. Uhmm it's ray flowers white, it looks like a kind of flea-bane, Erigeron, Yes? Eri meaning spring and geron - old man. I could make up all sort of stories.

And to continue: as i lay there looking at a spry old man, suddenly a duck emerges.

No, it was later again, in another pool of water, attracting me by making great splashes. I wonder if this is a young Northern Pintail. I am just guessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heerlijk Jozien zo afkoelen in het prachtige meer /mooie foto,s

Shaddaiah said...

Hi there Jozien,

Happy Birthday!!!!
Lucky you. The Yukon is gorgeous as always.
p.s. Bruno's site is
http://www.brunoaugsburger.com

just some little detail missing.
love you lots
Hope to see you one day again.
Isabelle

www.reikifire.ca

jozien said...

Isabelle!
Good to see you!
And thanks, i already changed it.
Do you know him?