Monday, September 14, 2009

Shaggy Mane


Coprinus comatus
Coprinaceae, Agaricales
Inky cap family

This morning i froze a big batch of Shaggy Manes again.
If anybody is interested, this is how i go about it;
Pick mushrooms when just coming up, when still totally white. I cut them as low as i can.
Deal with them as soon as you can, they turn to ink fast. I left them overnight outside, it's around freezing.

I wash them briefly, individually with my hands in a bowl of water, dry them briefly on a tea-towel, put them into (reused:)bags and freeze.

For cooking; put them in the pot frozen
cook or fry, very short

For a good recipe contact Michael Wanner in Dawson City or Whitehorse.
(hi Mike, a week late but, Happy Birthday!)

3 comments:

Janet said...

I used to fry Shaggy Manes in a bit of butter, but they always turned out slimy. I don't know what I did wrong. I haven't tried them in years, but maybe I'll give it another go. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these! They pop up all over my so-called lawn at this time of year when we get a bit of rain. Not enough to worry about freezing though, just pick and eat right away. Yum.

jozien said...

Yum for sure, thanks. And hi Janet! all i can say, don't be fooled by the looks of them and the younger they are the better. Good luck, what you did do sounds right.